repaint a wood bed to white

Old 08-17-05, 08:51 AM
Sandra Meyer
Visiting Guest
repaint a wood bed to white

I bought a bed for my daughter that is painted light green pink and has some hand painted flowers on it as well. The bed is made of a heavy wood but I'm not sure what kind of paint was used to paint it. Is it necessary to strip the paint first? Do I need to prime it and sand it as well or can I just repaint over the color that is already there? Please help! All I want to do is paint it white!

Old 08-17-05, 05:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You shouldn't need to strip it so long as you know that the "finish" surface of the paint won't change much, ie, grain of the wood that is visible, if it is. I *would* recommend you scuff sand with a hand block and some 100 grit sandpaper. Just scratch the surface of the old paint well, you don't need to wear yourself out unduly, but scratch it well. Provides "locking points" for the new paint to adhere to better.

Anyhow, a bed will need a rough and tumble paint finish, I personally recommend you use a good enamel. Me personally, I'd just brush or spray on a couple coats of white Rust-O-Leum, I've used it on several wood items and it worked well, one being my bed stand. There are enamels made specifically for wood, and aren't necessarily more expensive. Just ask around at the local Lord and Evans or Sherwin Williams, maybe Home Depot or Lowes. You can get Rust O Leum in gallon cans at most any place like Lowes or Wal Mart. I'd NOT get gloss. Stick to satin or matte. If you have an air compressor and a cup gun you may be able to spray the rustolem and get a nicer, brushline-free look.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: