How do I lighten up knotty pine?

Old 08-20-05, 03:36 PM
mphiebig
Visiting Guest
How do I lighten up knotty pine?

We're in the process of redoing my grandparent's house- the kitchen cabinets are all knotty pine as well as all the walls. their color from age and no cleaning is a deep dark brown. We're trying to figure out the best way to lighten them up so they look new and fresh and more modern. Any suggestions? Does bleach lighten pine or turn it white?

thanks!!

Old 08-21-05, 03:13 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is a product on the market which might help you.It is known as "wood bleach" and is based on oxalic acid.It is NOT regular bleach.It's purpose is to lighten wood that has become dark from age,spills and other factors.It can do what you are looking for on furniture etc.Having never had the need to use this item I can't tell you if it's practical for the cabinets in a kitchen from the stand point of how much it might take or the area you'd be covering.I'd talk to a professional for insight.

Old 08-21-05, 10:09 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wood bleach will work on pine-but you will still have to strip it first and the color may always be darker than you desire. You can also use a color wash to lighten up the color.

Old 09-13-05, 07:50 PM
jpech2003
Visiting Guest
Another method you could go with is to remove the old finish with either a stripping agent or sanding and the use a pickled stain to finish it. I like to use pickled oak myself. With enough coats it can look very pale and beautiful. If you use a gloss like polyurathane afterwardd, It sometimes help to even mix a little of the stain in that before you apply it..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: