painting kitchen cabinets

Old 08-23-05, 11:40 AM
HomemakerJordan
Visiting Guest
painting kitchen cabinets

I am considering doing this. Has anyone done it? If so how did it come out? Any advice?

Old 08-26-05, 05:32 AM
cheesensweets
Visiting Guest
I just painted my laminate cabinet doors and drawer fronts and they look great. What type cabinets do you have? That will depend on what you can do with them. Are they wood? laminate?

Old 08-26-05, 06:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There are many options out there for you. If you have an air compressor and a good spray gun (or can buy them) you maybe can spray them with precatalyzed lacquer (from paint stores like Sherwin Williams or Lord and Evans). This is probably the best cabinet finish commonly available, but can be tricky b/c it's very, very thin and runs/sags easily on vertical surface. Two coats of primer (sand in between with 220 grit for smoothness), two coats of top coat (sand in between with 320 only to allow the final coat to adhere to the previous).

OR, if not interested in spraying, a good quality enamel can do well. I'd very highly recommend you remove the doors and paint them laying flat, they don't run nearly as much and look a lot nicer. Probably the best option unless you want to live dangerously and try the lacquer.

Run like the dickens from latex paint. Simply not durable. Looks nice, but not for long.

Old 08-29-05, 08:25 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I've done it twice, and it has been well worth it both times.

While a sprayed finish is fastest and the most flawless, you can with sufficient time get a fine finish with a brush. Make sure you clean the cabinets well (mineral spirits with steel wool cleans all the grime) and sand them smooth. Remove all hardward, fill the holes and prime using a good alkalyd primer. There are plenty of posts on here about methods and products.

This is not a short weekend project, but the rewards are substantial.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: