materials to refinish cedar hopechest

Old 08-25-05, 12:22 PM
nespiers
Visiting Guest
materials to refinish cedar hopechest

I need to refinish an older cedar hope chest for my daughter. The old finish is destroyed. Better to sand or use stripper? what type of finish is best for cedar? thankyou!!

Old 08-25-05, 12:26 PM
nespiers
Visiting Guest
undefinedundefined
Originally Posted by nespiers
I need to refinish an older cedar hope chest for my daughter. The old finish is destroyed. Better to sand or use stripper? what type of finish is best for cedar? thankyou!!

Old 08-26-05, 06:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'd personally try sanding it off first with a power sander (random orbit palm sanders are great for this). Use 80 or 100 grit, and you may need to wear a face mask to keep cedar dust out of your lungs. You will not like cedar as much after you do this, by the way!

If it doesn't work sanding, you can try stripping. I find that aerosol cans of paint stripper work better than the liquid/gel crud.

Sand the entire piece after all the old stuff is gone with 100, 120, and 150 grit with the random orbit or similar power sander. You should see no sanding marks.

Depending on the needed durability, you can finish it with either wipe-on poly or straight polyurethane. Alternatively, you can try the spray-cans of Deft cellulose lacquer. Easy and clear, won't amber the cedar as much, but I'm not partial to it. Just doesn't stand up to chemicals like cleaners over time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: