sandblasting 6 x 8 beams

Old 08-28-05, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sandblasting 6 x 8 beams

Does anyone know where I can get info on the proper techniques to sandblasting wood beams? I would like to pay someone, however, at $175 per hour, I probably could buy my own sandblaster and respirator and do it myself.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-05, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
secondmanup,

You don't say how big the beams are but if the $175.00/hr includes the blasting media it's a bargain.

Unless you plan on doing more than just this project in order to get set up properly you would need a fairly large compressor of 12 cfm and up.
You also don't say why you want to sandblast them but another alternative is to use a large pressure washer.
I use one to clean up weathered lumber.
There will be a roughness to the surface if a pressure washer is used but it may not be any worse than if blasted with a dry media.

Old 08-28-05, 06:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Having used both the large commercial type sandblaster and the little small units [run off 5+hp compressors] I know there is a huge diference between the 2. The small units are only effective for small items. Sandblasting is a messy job and an inexperienced operator can destroy wood [and metal too] I would only sandblast wood as a last resort.
You didn't say what type of job you are looking at but there are a lot better ways to strip paint off of wood than with a sandblaster. Appling a coat of paint remover and then presure washing removes paint well [also messy] Another option might be taking a 7" sander and grinding the paint off.

Old 08-28-05, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The beams are 6 x 8 , posts 6 x 6 Douglas Fir. They are raw and without any pain or stain. The reason why I want to sandblast them is to give them a rustic look. When finished sandblasting, I will then stain them. This process is done here in Southern CA in the ritzy areas. I have one large beam patio cover and am currently building a matching gazebo. I like the look, however the $175 per hour seems high. I don't know much about it but it seems that because I am trying to rough up the wood, I can't go wrong. Or at least I don't think so. If you can talk me out of doing it myself, please do.

Old 08-28-05, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
Hey, I wouldn't think of talking someone out of diy!

The cost of the compressor and pressure pot blaster along with safety gear and the right abrasive would cost 10 to 15 times the hourly cost of having it done.
Plus, you would need pretty understanding neighbours when you fire it up.

If shopping for a compressor I would suggest a minimum of 12 cfm at 100 psi in order to power a sandblaster that would be able to give you a wide enough pattern to make the etching of the wood even.
You would then look for a pressure pot blaster that takes this amount of air.