Re-finishing aquarium tank stand

Old 08-29-05, 07:52 AM
funnyguyMI
Visiting Guest
Re-finishing aquarium tank stand

Hey all,

I recently purchased a used 110 gallon aquarium and stand and I'd like to re-finish the stand to match the other furniture in my living room. I was planning on using a stripper because I'm afraid that trying to sand it off would remove some of the detail in the woodworking. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a stripper to use for this project. Also, any general tips or hints for this type of project would be helpful.

Thanks all

-Mike

Old 08-29-05, 09:08 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Here is a good rundown on stripping furniture in general. http://doityourself.com/woodfinish/f...refinstrip.htm

Be sure to read label instructions and take your time. The results can be rewarding.

Old 08-30-05, 08:21 AM
funnyguyMI
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply Chris. As I was reading through that article, I noticed that they didn't mention wiping down the wood with mineral spirits or paint thinner to neutralize the stripper, but I read in another place that it should be. I suppose it will say for sure in the directions on the stripper that I decide to go with.

As far as brands go, does anyone have any advice? Any good or bad experiences to share?

Thanks again
-Mike

Old 09-02-05, 06:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No specific brand comes to mind, I usually buy the aerosol cans instead of the gel/paste that you slop on. Every can I've ever bought worked very well, much more than the gels, and less chance of slopping it onto yourself.

Two or three cans should do you. Start spraying in less-visible areas to get the feel of how much to apply. Don't be afraid of it, it usually doesn't discolor the wood. If it does, it's usually only a matter of sanding to get the color showing back.

BTW, since it's an aquarium stand, (I have several tanks myself) I'd recommend sealing the inside of the cabinet very well. Being a 110, a lil moisture protection is a lot of peace of mind. Polyurethane will work fine. It ambers the oak too much for my taste for exteriors, though, I prefer a lacquer over oak. Not nearly as thick, so the amber effect (if any, depending on the lacquer type) is minimized and the golden aspect of the oak shows. If you have an air compressor and spray gun you can spray it with lacquer, but if not you may can have it professionally done by a cabinet shop or painter with either a precatalyzed lacquer or conversion varnish (both of which are fantastically resistant to chemicals, particulary the conversion varnish).

Old 09-06-05, 06:55 AM
funnyguyMI
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply Mako. Yeah, I was looking at those aerosol cans and will give them a try based on your recommendation. Yeah, putting an extra coat of finish on the inside might be a good idea. I'll take a look and see what's on it now. I'm not planning on re-finishing the inside of the cabinet, just the outside

I'll try and remember to post my results with a link to some pics for anyone who is interested.

Thanks again
-Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: