Antiqueing wood

Old 08-29-05, 03:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Antiqueing wood

I am in need of technique on how to paint wood cabinets to appear like they have an antique finish, ie: marbling ect.
Old 08-30-05, 11:25 AM
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northeast, US
Posts: 129
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I believe that they sell paints/glazes that accomplish this. I've never done it, but have SEEN it done on decorating shows (like Debbie Travis).

I think that you paint first, then apply the 'glaze'...and it begins to "crack" the surface so that it ends up giving a crackled finish.

Marbleizing is different. I've got a book that describes all different paint techniques...I suggest going to your local library to borrow a book like that. And/or go online and search out paint techniques. I imagine HGTV's site has sections that tell you how to do different paint finishes.
Old 08-31-05, 07:33 AM
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 286
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Glazing, marbling and crackling are different painting techniques, using different products. There are many ways to "antique" painted objects. A glaze in brown/umber over white will give the tea stained effect-glazes are sold pre-mixed at big box stores or you can buy a proprietary blend glaze and mix that with artists acrylics or latex (assuming a water based glaze). The advantage of mixing your own glaze is that you control the color and they tend to dry slower, providing more working time. Other methods of glazing cabinets which people use with great success is using gel stain for the glaze. In general, the glazing medium is applied that wiped off with cloth/cheescloth/sponge to leave the "hint" of color and allow the glaze to remain in crevices. After glazing cabinets, they need to be sealed with a varnish--generally a waterbased poly works best as it won't yellow.

That's the most basic--there are many other add-ons. For instance, you can use a key bob or other tool to distress the wood first. You can use a wax or other resist, and rub away the base coat to expose the underlying stain/paint. You can use a crackle medium which causes the top coat to crack and provides the appearance of age. You can add rotten stone to create a crust, and many other methods of aging.

I would recommend purchasing a book or video, and practicing your technique before committing to your cabinets. Have fun.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: