Stripping and refinishing old dresser

Old 09-13-05, 03:27 PM
moonie25a
Visiting Guest
Stripping and refinishing old dresser

Hi,
Can anyone help me figure out how to strip and refinish an old dresser? The dresser is painted green and has old childhood knobs on it (that I intend to replace). I have no idea what kind of wood is underneath. This is the first time I have ever attempted to do anything like this, so I haven't a clue as to how to strip the dresser (which I read is the best thing to do) or how to refinish it, including what equipment, tools, working space, etc. I need. Any help is very much appreciated! Thanks!

Old 09-13-05, 07:56 PM
jpech2003
Visiting Guest
Moonie, please read my reply to kyrpacecmc in the wood finishing novice thread. You could use the same process.

Old 09-16-05, 08:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Definitely check out the thread.

Personally, if the paint is holding on fairly well, you can usually paint over it with a good quality enamel, but do a test piece first. Scuff sand the entire surface of the old paint with 120 or 150 grit sandpaper.

Interestingly, if you want to "distress" it and make it look as old as it is (but not look like cr@p), the first layer of paint will add depth and character. Just don't paint it a color that will clash with the green (ie, don't paint it "tippy toe pink"). A nice medium brown with distressing would show the green off nicely.

You can find tons of info on distressing on this forum as well, and on others. You basically use 150-grit sandpaper and make some scuff marks through the new paint into the old, and even into the wood, to give it that "time worn" and rugged good-looking appeal. Look at the previous layer of paint not so much as a hinderance to refinishing, but as an opportunity. Most importantly, have fun. The old "childhood" knobs may well add character to a distressed dresser.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: