fine old home

Old 09-19-05, 04:32 PM
grouper
Visiting Guest
fine old home

hi all, so i bought this house and tore out the old cheap paneling and tore out the 12 by 12 acoustic ceiling tile and pulled up the carpet . wow oak t&g walls, pine t&g walls, pine ceiling ,pine and oak ceiling ,oak floors again wow a good ole 1960 fl house18 to 20 gallons of stripper later im sanding walls and ceilings.150 grit wiping them down with lacquer thinner (left over from stripin) what next gonna put semi gloss on ceilings and satin on walls any help would be greatly apreciated. im a drywall contractor and i just couldnt do it to this house...

Old 09-19-05, 06:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 759 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Wow reading about all that work got me tired Are you talking of painting, staining or just poly/varnish on all that wood? I vote for poly but I don't live there so my vote don't count.
If staining or applying poly the methods are basically the same. Make sure the surface is clean and ready to go [you got that covered], apply stain and wipe off excess. When dry apply first coat of poly, let dry, sand, 2nd coat of poly sand when dry and apply 3rd and final coat.
Painting will require the use of an enamel undercoater [primer] then top coat with your choice of paint. Due to the nature of oak it is best to paint with latex as it will better fill in the grain.

Old 09-19-05, 07:15 PM
grouper
Visiting Guest
thanx

thanx for the welcome and direction,ive read alot of post on this forum and it has been real helpful.im so glad i tore out and didnt just sheetrock over it all as was my first inclanation,ill let you know how the poly goes on , does that sound right semi on ceilings and satin on walls, also much of it ,if not all will be poly only, no stain.maybe tung oil ive never done this sort of thing before, and i seem to be enjoying the results just hope i dont botch the poly application.. thanx again....... oh yeah do i need wood conditoner on the pine ?? sanding sealer ??and a little stain too why not , just see how it goes i guess

Old 09-20-05, 06:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 759 Posts
Wood conditioner will let soft woods stain with a more even color. Some people like the variance in wood colors others don't. I like using sanding sealer as a first coat [its easier to sand than poly] however not all polys can be applied over it. Check the label to make sure or top coat with varnish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: