bleached oak dining room set

Old 09-26-05, 08:02 AM
Tara9206
Visiting Guest
Question bleached oak dining room set

I have a bleached oak dining room set (it's actually a light pink color), very 1990s and I would like to stain it dark. I am not crazy about the set but I don't have 5K to go spend on a new set so I would like to find a way to freshen this set up. I would like to avoid having to strip the wood, if at all possible. Could someone suggest a low cost way (other than straight painting) to re-do this set. Thanks.

Old 09-26-05, 09:12 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You might consider coating the furniture with a clear coat that has the stain mixed in it. This would be the closest approximation of staining the furniture anew without stripping it. It will be hard to tell the outcome without trying it because the new stain will not blend with the old, it will be overlaid. Otherwise, strip and refinish it.

Old 09-27-05, 04:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chris has a good thought, but one warning: Most factory finished furniture is coated with lacquer; the finish Chris mentions is usually polyurethane with color added - the two are often NOT compatible.

If you go this way, test a small area first, such as the back of a chair leg.

You should also be aware that the color you add in this manner will be affected by the existing color. In other words, what you put on the furniture will NOT look like the sample you saw in the store.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: