Finishing cherry

Old 10-02-05, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Finishing cherry

I am considering buying solid cherry cabinet doors.

I purchased a piece of cherry and coated it. I prefer the unstained cherry with a polyurethane coating.

What would I have to look out for and what are the quirks I would have to look for with cherry? I recognize my sample was only one piece and there will be variations of some sort, but I am looking for tricks and techniques to get the best job.

I have heard that cherry can give you a few problems. I have handled finishing unfinished oak, but that seemed too easy since the grain on stained oak hid a lot of things.

Dick

Old 10-02-05, 05:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 870 Upvotes on 761 Posts
I've only poly/varnished a little bit of cherry over the years but I don't remember any problems in particular. Cherry does seem like it has more variances in color than some of the other woods. I've always liked the different colors in natural wood but I have had customers who thought different.

Old 10-03-05, 04:56 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree with Marksr about the color variation.

The only problem I've ever seen with cherry is with a lacquer finish. Lacquer doesn't seem to want to flow into the small 'pits' you sometimes see on the face of a board. No problem with polyurethane, however.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: