Nail Polish Remover Ruined Table Finish

Old 10-04-05, 01:54 PM
tomfromauburn
Visiting Guest
Nail Polish Remover Ruined Table Finish

My daughter spilled nail polish remover onto my kitchen table. It is a modern table, not an antique. The remover created a rectangular, milky white "stain" about 14" long and about 3" wide. I need to repair the damage but I'm unsure how to approach the repair work. Should I try to repair only the damaged area or do I need to strip the entire tabletop. If I refinish the entire tabletop, should I use another stripper, or should I strip the rest of the tabletop with nail polish remover first to create an even surface look? Because of the whitish stain, I don't know if the polish remover has merely covered the oak-colored stain or it has removed it as well as the clear finish. Can you assist me with this dilemma?

Tom

Old 10-05-05, 05:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the surface is still smooth, it may be possible to remove the 'haze'.

Use 0000 steel wool with any handy cooking oil (Wesson, Canola, etc.) Lightly dampen the wool pad with the oil and rub the surface of the discoloration (with the grain). Wipe clean occasionally to check progress.l

Use Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and Scratch Remover (1 product) to restore the sheen - go over the entire table top with this.

If the finish is no longer smooth, the top must be stripped - use a commercial stripper. Chances are you'll have to re-stain as well as refinish the top.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: