How to re-finish Solid Maple Kitchen Cupboard

Old 10-08-05, 07:48 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to re-finish Solid Maple Kitchen Cupboard

I have solid maple kitchen cupboard (both doors and frames). They are very nice cupboards, custom built, made of solid ½” maple. They are in need of refinishing. In particular, the doors subject to direct sunlight look pretty bad. The clear finish is discoloured, and kind of “cracked”

I know very little about refinishing. I don’t know what was used to coat them in first place; it’s a clear finish (clear polyurethane?). The house was built some 20 years ago, and the cupboards have not been touched since.

So, how to proceed? The maple itself is in good shape, so I want to refinish to show the wood. Do I just strip the wood, and use clear polyurethane? Or is there a better solution? Should I use a polyurethane stain? I don’t want to paint the wood.

Old 10-09-05, 05:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
I would think that sanding and then coating with polyurathane should work fine. After you sand the cabinets down, wiping them with a wet thinner rag will give you some idea as to what they will look like [while the thinner is still wet on the wood]

Old 10-13-05, 04:17 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
another possibility is to strip or sand to bare wood and
then apply a clear oil stain or a pigmented stain of your
choice, with no top coat.

then you could wipe on a coat of oil when ever you need to do so,
without having to refinish the wood, thereby not having to
strip or sand each time and top coat.

being a vertical surface there should be less wear.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: