Staining oak trim and doors

Old 10-10-05, 12:23 PM
champ98
Visiting Guest
Staining oak trim and doors

We are finishing the basement in our 4 year old house and will be staining the doors and trim ourselves. Everything is oak. I have asked a few people about the correct process for prepping the wood for staining and I'm getting varied responses. Hence some questionso I really need to sand with a couple different grits to open the wood up,mainly 150grit to start and 240grit final sand? Is it really necessary to use a wood conditioner on oak? How many coats are normal? Do I need to lightly sand between coats? Do I need a sanding sealer? I will be using Varathane oil-based stain and then Varathane water-based clear satin polyurethane as the "clear coat". Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-10-05, 01:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 759 Posts
You shouldn't need a wood conditioner on oak. I normally sand the wood with 180 grit - be sure to sand with the grain [cross sanding may leave scratches that will show once stained] Any marks on the wood can usually be removed with denatured alcohol. IMO one coat of stain works best - so be sure to pick the right color [test on scrap oak] I seldom use waterbased varnish so I don't know if it is neccesary to sand before sealing. You will need to apply 2-3 coats of varnish sanding between coats with 180-220 grit sand paper.

Old 10-10-05, 05:03 PM
champ98
Visiting Guest
I guess why I was thinking of going water-based varnish was because we decided on a colonial maple color that has a hint of red in it. If I used an oil-based varnish wouldn't it yellow the color slightly and therefore change the original color or do you hardly notice it? Thanks.

Old 10-10-05, 06:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 759 Posts
Oil base does deepen the color more and they usualy yellow over time. You might stain some scrap oak and apply both finishes to see how you like them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: