how to finish a MDF painted desk

Old 10-11-05, 04:20 PM
cch068
Visiting Guest
how to finish a MDF painted desk

I built a computer desk out of mdf. I painted it with satin paint I had left over from painting my walls. It didn't have the finish that I would trust would be durable so I started to poly it. I started with a light first coat and sanded it with 320 sandpapaer. It left scratch marks all over. What would be the best way to get a durable finish on this desk with paint. I don't want to laminate it. Should I have went with an epoxy paint, enamel paint? I figured I would be able to poly the current paint with a few coats and I would be good to go, but it doesn't seem to be the right choice.

Old 10-11-05, 07:00 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you want to use paint, a couple of coats after the primer should do it. Use a semi-gloss or satin or gloss as suits your preference. Be sure to let the paint cure properly for durability. I have painted a fair amount of MDF with successful finish and durability.

Wall paint is usually flat, not much of a finish for furniture either for appearance or durability.

If you want to apply polyurethane over the paint, be sure to have the paint cure completely before applying the poly. Usually, the poly will need to cure 24 hours before sanding will go well. If the coat scratches, just finish up and tack it, let it harden, then apply the next coat in accordance with the instructions from the manufacturer. The poly takes longer to cure and harden with low temperatures or high humidity.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-11-05, 08:36 PM
triple-R
Visiting Guest
painting MDF

painting mdf not a easy thing too do unless you are tricky. what i have found works the best is get elmers carpenters wood glue this glue is a water base glue .so in a bucket thin the glue 50% with water. brush on, let dry 30 mim recoat it let dry a hour or so. then use a primer let dry and reprim.let dry,sand with 150 grit nothing bigger or smaller on this coat. what happens with mdf when you put primres down or any finish you raise the grain and you sand and take off the top again then it looks un evan.the glue becomes a barrier coat, and then it will become very smoothe when sanded with 220.then two coats of any latex smeigioss or satin or gloss. will hold up it is best too know that all paints take about 30 days to seal or to be completely dry so the longer you let it dry the better it will hold up

Old 10-13-05, 04:08 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
using the glue "trick" works, it is especially good at sealing
the "end grain" so to speak of mdf. the bull nose leading edge
always sucks up your primer.

you can also use elmers glue straight and use a blow dryer to
create a crackle finish on mdf.

then glaze to fill the cracks with whatever colour, or top coat with
a solid colour of your choice, then glaze with a different colour to
fill the cracks.