Painting a dresser, a daybed, and a cheval mirror

Old 10-17-05, 06:12 PM
rfranceen
Visiting Guest
Smile Painting a dresser, a daybed, and a cheval mirror

I have a very large dresser and a daybed that have dark wood finish, and I'd like to paint them white and/or light pastels. They are being used in my 3 year old daughter's bedroom. I have a few questions regarding painting them:

First of all, do I need to strip them first or is sanding enough.

Then, I'm assuming I'll need to prime them first since I'm going from dark wood to white - is that correct. Or would two or more coats of paint do the same thing.

Next, is it better to use spray paint or brush it on?

And do I need to apply a clearcoat afterwards?

I did find some white spray laquer that says it drys to a very hard, very glossy finish. Does that sound like it would do the trick?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Rachell

Old 10-21-05, 08:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Clean the piece thoroughly;

Sand - enough to rough up the surface and remove any irregularities that might be there;

Wipe the piece down to remove ALL dust;

Prime - use either a latex or oil base - your choice, but get one that says it is sandable. After application and drying, sand to remove brush marks.

Personally, I'd use an aerosol for the final paint application. You've sanded out the brush marks from the primer - no need to put them back.

Although lacquer is used in almost all factory finished furniture, I'd use paint - Krylon or something similar. Lacquer is too susceptible to scratches and watermarks.

A thorough application of primer should just leave your piece(s) needing one coat of finish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: