Staining oak a dark red color

Old 10-19-05, 06:26 PM
akunec
Visiting Guest
Staining oak a dark red color

How do I stain oak a dark red color like this?

I've tried minwax natural cherry gloss polyshade and red mahogany and it seems they both just make the wood more brown, and don't really add much of a red color.

Does someone know how to get a nice dark red color like the pic? I realize that the picture uses a different type of wood, but I've seen this dark red color on oak on tables in Red Lobster and Tony Romas, so it must be possible.

Thanks
Alex

Old 10-19-05, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,946 Upvotes on 1,746 Posts
You may need to find a stain that has more pure red pigment in it. Additionally, you can tint your polyurethane with red stain so that the color is also in the finish, not just the wood. The problem with some stains is that it makes the grain of the wood too dark, when you just want it all to be a uniform color. Your best bet is to go to a diamond vogel or sherwin williams store, with a picture of what you want it to look like, and they should have some oak samples and be able to mix something up for you that will be to your liking.

Old 10-20-05, 05:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 851 Upvotes on 747 Posts
[QUOTE=XSleeper]Additionally, you can tint your polyurethane with red stain so that the color is also in the finish, not just the wood. QUOTE]

I had a customer with a predominate staircase and they wanted the railing a red stain [fortunately they had a pic of the color/finish they desired] It was not possible to duplicate it with stain but stain coupled with red tinted varnish produced the desired result.

When ever using tinted varnish/poly it is best to top coat with clear varnish/poly - any scratches [or wear and tear] on a colored finish may alter the appearance.

Old 10-20-05, 02:50 PM
akunec
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help guys, I went to a local paint supply store (Benjamin Moore) and found what I was looking for. A little more expensive then HD but it is exactly what I need. Thanks again.
Alex

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: