Antique black/red hand rubbed finish????

Old 10-21-05, 10:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Antique black/red hand rubbed finish????

I'm sure all of you have seen the "new" look of black furniture with the white rub or the red rubbed look on the edges. I have a coffee table and an end table that would great with that done, and I know that it looks kind of messy anyway, but I don't know how to get the edges done like that. Any help??
Old 10-21-05, 11:46 AM
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 286
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
there are several ways to get that look. Some are positive effect (e.g. red paint first, allow to dry, then "dry brush" black--using an almost dry brush with very little black). Other methods are negative effects, i.e. the top coat is removed to reveal the red under coat. There are many ways to achieve this, but one of the most effective in my experience is apply wax or paste on the spots you want to reveal, then painting the entire piece the second color. Once the paint dries, lightly sand the portions you applied wax to, and the undercoat will be revealed.
Old 10-21-05, 12:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

What if the table is already black? Is there no way that I would just put some color on top of the black?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: