Black/Marble look lacquer dinning table disaster

Old 10-28-05, 12:13 PM
Al Moon
Visiting Guest
Black/Marble look lacquer dinning table disaster

first time to this forum. I saw a similar one about scratches but this is a large area that the finish is ruined (2 sq feet).

The cat coughed up a mess on the Black/Marble look dinning room table. The finish is now very dull and somewhat rough. I think it's a lacquer table. It is a very high gloss laminant over particle board.
I was going to use rubbing compund to see if it would help get the high luster back. Would it be best to start with a 1000 - 600 grit wet/dry paper first.
I would be a real hero if I can get it looking new, like it did before, the infamous cat incident. I'm just lucky it's not my cat.

Old 11-01-05, 03:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, you mention it's possibly lacquer but you also called it laminate, which it can't be both (unless it was lacquered over by a rookie or a nimrod).

Anyhow, this may not be as hard as you may think. But IF you are sure it's lacquer or at least a sandable paint, pick up the following at Lowe's, or a hardware store if you can't find it. You only need one sheet of the following sandpapers, most hardware stores in my area sell it by the sheet. I will tell you how to "hand rub" the table to give the whole thing a less glossy but warm and sexy look. Don't try this on laminate.

320 grit sandpaper
400 grit sandpaper
00 Steel wool (pronounced "two ought")
0000 Steel wood (four ought).
Minwax Paste Wax

Stuff a wad of paper towel into the 320 grit sandpaper, or wrap the sandpaper around a dry dish sponge. Lightly and gently sand the "puked" area and surrounding couple of inches. Rub it good, but NOT HARD. Do NOT let the paper get lacquer "corns" in it, so clean it out often by wiping it on your pant's leg (wear old jeans!). Don't try to sand through the lacquer, only scuff and clean the surface. Wet/dry paper and some water may help.

Now hit the entire visible surface of the table lightly but don't go nuts.

Do the same with the 400 grit wrapped around a sponge on the entire surface. The 400 will quickly cake up, so use light pressure and clean it well and often.

Rub the entire surface with the 00 Steel wool, rub it very well. Use more pressure than you did with the sandpaper. Then do the same with the 0000.

Once all done, wipe clean with wet paper towel. Apply the Minwax paste wax to the entire sanded/steeled surface, and wipe off with clean towel. Will look lovely.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: