Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Hardware, Tools, Wood & Metal Working, Home & Business Security > Furniture, Wood and Cabinetry Finishing
Reload this Page >

Strong varnish smell from 2 weeks old teak furniture - giving me a headache - help!

Strong varnish smell from 2 weeks old teak furniture - giving me a headache - help!

Old 11-06-05, 04:45 PM
sandyt
Visiting Guest

Can anyone advise how to get rid of the smell of the varnish? I bought a new Indonesian Teakwood dresser 2 weeks ago. Until today, after much airing(using a fan in a room as i am isolating it because of its strong smell) i still have a headache whenever i am in the room with the dresser. Can anyone advise me?

Also, does anyone know what are the materials used in the varnish? Is it dangerous for children to be around it? I am having a headache and i wonder how it will affect my children.

Will appreciate any advice. Thanks! Sandy

Old 11-06-05, 05:50 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furniture that was purchased finished should not have much of a smell for more than a day. Even then, it should not smell of the finish. I would return it, because it seems to have some problem with this strong smell you report.

Old 11-07-05, 05:09 AM
sandyt
Visiting Guest
i just talked to the shop where i bought it from. I was told that its the smell of teakwood and they do not use any varnish but just a polish(was told that the smell of polish is just like nail polish and would evaporate off very fast).

I am now thinking whether it is the glue that they used to put together the pieces.

The owner told me to put clothes in it. She told me that this is her first time she hears about the smell after being in business for 12 years. Sure am not happy about this. Anymore suggestions what i can do with the smell - i am using charcoal to "absorb" the smell right now but don't think its working. And sadly over here, there is no such thing as a return policy!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: