Sheets of wood veneer Plywood-best finish?

Old 11-22-05, 06:33 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sheets of wood veneer Plywood-best finish?

Stain then wterbase top coat vs Teak oil/
going up on 20 ft wall- won't get any wear
I'd like to finish them on the ground & then touch up after up

Old 11-28-05, 07:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Personally, niether. I'm no fan of waterbased stuff. But if they are getting no wear and tear, and must pick between the two, go with the waterbased (lacquer, polyurethane? either will do).

Personally I'd either spray it with lacquer, or if you do not have the equipment to spray it, use a brush-on lacquer. You may have to check around for it, but it will look good on plywood.

Your next best and easiest and fume-free option is boiled linseed oil. Slop it on heavy with a rag, let it set 10-20 minutes, wipe it dry. WASH THE RAG WITH PLENTY OF SOAP (better yet toss in the wasing machine) or else the linseed oil in the rag will self-heat and possibly catch on fire.

Old 11-29-05, 05:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Originally Posted by mako
. WASH THE RAG WITH PLENTY OF SOAP (better yet toss in the wasing machine) or else the linseed oil in the rag will self-heat and possibly catch on fire.

If I tried that my wife would be a widow Mako is correct that care needs to be used when disposing of oil or stain soaked rags. I prefer to throw them in the burn barrel. A covered container is another option.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: