Opinions please... pine door [paint or stain?]

Old 11-26-05, 10:37 AM
OZLelila
Visiting Guest
Question Opinions please... pine door

Hi All -

I was hoping to get some opinions from people who deal with this a bit more than I do...

I recently moved into a 5-year-old apartment. It's over the owner's garage, and the owner's son lived in it before I did. He built the place and spent a lot of time putting real knotty pine paneling into the place and making it look nice. The main door into the apartment is a solid pine door that has never been finished. However, it was filthy. I recently sanded all of the the dirt off of it in anticipation of priming and painting it. However, I'm not sure that's what I should do.

Even after sanding, the door is still rather dinged up and the patina is uneven. However, it is still an obviously well-made door and has a nice grain. Part of me wants to see if I can get some more of the imperfections out of it with some more sanding and then just sealing it with some polyurethene. But part of me wants to paint it, cover up the obvious abuse and put my own touch on the apartment. I'm really split. Can somebody suggest a happy medium?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-27-05, 11:45 AM
kbdesigns
Visiting Guest
Before doing anything you need to get the owner's permission in writing. Most landlords do not permit altering rentals in any way. And getting permission in writing will protect you at the time you decide to move, and all of a sudden the landlord has no "recollection" of granting permission.

Also, in a lot of cases the landlord will hire a professional to come in and do any painting or staining so it is done right.

Old 11-28-05, 10:51 AM
OZLelila
Visiting Guest
Oh, I've already got her permission; she wants me to do it. After seeing how dirty the door was she told me to clean it up and paint it.

Old 11-28-05, 11:30 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pine is a soft wood, hence all the dings. it also takes stain very unevenly. i'd either just leave it & poly it to show it's inherent "beauty" or prime it & paint it. chances are, with all the other pine everywhere, it's enough already - i'd paint it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: