Faster way to apply stain?

Old 12-01-05, 04:10 AM
snapshotmd
Visiting Guest
Faster way to apply stain?

I have a fairly large table that I would like to stain. According to the directions I'm supposed to rub down each coat with steel wool. I'm thinking I need about 4 coats to get it where I want. Is there an easier way of doing this? Like using a power sander or something?

Old 12-01-05, 05:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,923 Upvotes on 1,727 Posts
Stain is the colored liquid that gives wood color. You would not rub stain with steel wool. If you are applying a finish on the wood such as varnish or polyurethane, then you would need to lightly sand the wood between coats to smooth any wood fibers that have raised up, or to remove any particulates that have gotten into the finish. In my opinion, sanding with 220 grit sandpaper, or a 3M Sandblaster sanding sponge (180 and 320 grit) is far better than using steel wool, which will leave lots of tiny steel fibers everywhere, increasing the chances of stuff getting into your finish.

You definately would not use a power sander to sand the finish. Sanding it by hand will be very quick and easy, provided the finish has dried completely. The idea of sanding between coats is just to lightly sand the wood until it feels smooth to the touch. It's not like you're trying to sand off everything you just applied. I think you'll find that sanding the finish by hand is a lot easier than you imagine.

Old 12-01-05, 06:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
I agree with XSleeper but would like to add NEVER EVER use steel wool if you intend to use a water based finish. Any unremoved steel fibers will rust [messing up the finish]

Old 12-01-05, 06:25 AM
snapshotmd
Visiting Guest
Hmmm, I'm using the Minwax all-in-one (forgive me if mis-named the product, I'm at work and doing this by memory) stuff and the directions say to use 000 grade steel wool in between coats.

I'm not intending on applying anything else than this.

Old 12-01-05, 09:48 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The Minwax all in one includes the finish with the stain in it. Rubbing between coats would be the same as sanding between coats of finish, because the finish is being applied with the stain in it. Any accumulated coloration is a result of more layers of finish containing stain on top of each other.

Old 12-01-05, 03:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,923 Upvotes on 1,727 Posts
correct. It sounds like the product you are using is Minwax Polyshades. The more layers that are put on, the deeper, darker and more consistant the color will become. Sanding with fine grit sandpaper is superior to rubbing with #000 steel wool, and you won't have the little bits of steel wool to worry about. Take the advice on this one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: