Help for warped wood?

Old 12-01-05, 07:19 AM
Wordsmith
Visiting Guest
Help for warped wood?

My project is an old - very old - table, put together with wooden pegs instead of nails/screws and drop-leaf sides with wooden slide bars to support the leaves when open. (If not for the ornately turned legs, I would guess it to be a Shaker style table.) The problem is the drop-leaves, which have warped badly over the years. I would love to be able to flatten the leaves, refinish the table and be able to use it at last. Can this wood be saved? If so, how do I approach the task?

Thanks

Old 12-01-05, 07:49 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If boards are severely warped or are veneered, do not attempt to remove the warp. Finish will have to be removed before trying to straighten slightly warped boards. Moisture has to be applied to the concave side and removed from the convex side. Board is placed with the wet/convex side down on heat vent or radiator. In summer place the wet/convex side up in the sun. Keep convex side moist with damp rags. Weight board down for several days or until board is straight. Then, clamp board flat with clamps no more than 12 inches apart. Place pieces of wood under clamps to prevent damage to board. A couple times a day loosen clamps and move them to prevent splitting. Continue to do so for several days or weeks. Then, refinish both sides of board to prevent moisture and humidity from entering board and causing rewarping. If in doubt, consult with a professional.

Old 12-01-05, 09:54 AM
Wordsmith
Visiting Guest
Thanks, neighbor. The table is not veneered, but solid maple. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Old 12-01-05, 09:58 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Maple is not noted for its dimensional stability. Should you have success removing the warp, seal all sides to prevent humidity from rewarping.

Old 12-22-05, 10:50 AM
sammartin
Visiting Guest
I have a similar issue with warping on two of the maple doors on a 1930s hoosier cabinet that I just bought. I was thinking of putting a heavy-duty friction catch on the corner that is most affected by the warp. Would this eventually straighten them, or should I go ahead and try the heating process described above?

Thanks,

Sam

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: