Staining over Stain?

Old 12-03-05, 07:05 PM
ronmac
Visiting Guest
Staining over Stain?

I have some fluted moulding and rosettes that are somewhat lighter than my new baseboard and door trim color. We didn't replace the fluted trim and rosettes because for one it is expensive and it was also recently put up before we bought our house. Can you stain a darker color over the lighter stain? Sanding does not appears to be an option as it would take forever to sand between the flutes.

Old 12-03-05, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,959 Upvotes on 1,756 Posts
I have had good success staining a 2nd time with a different color when the first color did not turn out as planned. The 2nd coat of stain will not be absorbed into the wood as readily, since it has already been saturated with the first coat, but it will deepen the color somewhat. The problem is that its trial and error, with no way to tell how it's going to turn out unless you try it on some test pieces (or the back side of your trim) first.

Old 12-04-05, 09:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
I have never liked stainning over stain. When stain work needs darkening I always prefer to darken with tinted varnish/poly. Minwax sells Polyshades which is a tinted polyurathane, it comes in various tints. The more coats you use the more color you get. One word of warning, since the poly is tinted you must pay good attention to appling evenenly. Lap marks or any area that has more tinted poly will look different than areas with less.

Old 12-04-05, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,959 Upvotes on 1,756 Posts
You know what? In re-reading your original message, I now understand that the trim you want to restain is your "existing trim", which is too light. For some reason I was picturing that it was your "new trim" was not dark enough and you wanted to know if you could apply more stain over it. Sorry! So let me correct what I stated earlier:

Your current trim (rosettes and fluted trim) can't just be stained over because they surely have a coat of finish (varnish or poly) over the stain. The finish would prevent any additional stain from soaking into the wood so the answer would be "no, more stain will not darken the wood" if your existing trim has a finish on it.

If it has a finish, as marksr suggests, you could try one of the Minwax polyshades to darken the tint, but personally I hate the stuff- maybe you'll like it better than I do though.

Old 12-05-05, 12:08 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i too do not like the poly-shades. tried it once.
although,
i have added minwax stain to my poly and sprayed it on, thereby
creating my own "poly-shade"
the key is that i sprayed it on, and avoided the "lap" effect.

Old 12-05-05, 12:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
Polyshades or any tinted poly/varnish is easier to use when sprayed. It must be applied evenly to look good. It can be brushed effectively but attention must be paid to the application.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: