staining/finishing Ikea desk

Old 12-04-05, 06:24 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
staining/finishing Ikea desk

I got an unfinished pine desk from Ikea and was wondering the best (easiest) way to finish this. Should I stain and poly the pieces prior to assembly or assemble first and then stain/poly? Also, is it really necessary to sand the pieces prior to the stain? Thanks.

Old 12-04-05, 07:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,960 Upvotes on 1,757 Posts
I think I would stain and finish it before it is assembled. Much easier to do small pieces, you can lay them flat to stain and finish. (perhaps you could do one side at a time, allowing the pieces to dry before flipping them and doing the other side... or else put a nail in the end of the pieces and hang them from a wire so that you can do both sides)

As far as sanding goes, your pieces might be ready to stain. But sanding with the proper grit (anywhere from 120 to 220, depending on personal preference) would give you the peace of mind that it's been properly prepped- by sanding you will remove things that often aren't visible to the naked eye, but show up like a sore thumb once you start to put stain on. If the pieces are really smooth to the touch you probably won't have to do much sanding at all- just a quick touch-up.

Old 12-04-05, 07:45 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, yea, I was leaning more towards finishing the separate pieces. I think I'm going to go in between, though. The plan now is to stain the separate pieces, assemble, and then poly the outside of the finished desk. As for sanding, it does look pretty much good to go, I think I'll pass on the sanding. I'm a bit lazy and I test stained the underside and it turned out great.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: