Help [wood staining question]

Old 12-04-05, 05:38 PM
Woodstaining101
Visiting Guest
Help [wood staining question]

I just got done with my first project with wood staining. I sanded my dresser, then conditioned the wood. After that I applied an oil based poly/stain in one. It turned out sord of blotchy, with a rippling affect on some parts of the wood. Is this rippling temporary? It isn't completely dry yet. I thought I did everything to avoid the blotches (pre condition, etc) Do you think I need to re sand again and use a different method?

Old 12-05-05, 12:13 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
polyshades can be tricky to apply.
you can get lap marks.
maybe that is the blotchy look you mentioned.
maybe remove the finish and clean with paint thinner or
laquer thinner completely, then sand with 22o then
stain to the colour that you want,
then apply a clear poly.

Old 12-06-05, 05:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
I would go ahead and let it dry and then sand it. You can then wipe it down with paint thinner which while the thinner is wet you will have a good idea as to how it will look. If it looks ok you can proceed with the finishing.

As leewaytoo said polyshades has to be applied carefully. Because it is a tinted poly you are adding color as you apply the poly. Any area that has more or less of the polyshades on it will look different. If you don't need to strip it you can finish with clear poly if the color is right, if it needs more/darker color you can apply more polyshades just be carefull to apply it evenly.

Old 12-06-05, 06:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,973 Upvotes on 1,770 Posts
Marksr, if she can't spray it on (as most people can't) would you recommend a varnish bristle brush or a foam brush?

As I recall, you have to apply the polyshades very evenly, and quickly smooth out any heavy lap marks, because it only takes a few seconds for it to become sticky and then it starts getting streaky the next time you brush through it. Going back and trying to touch up those sticky areas later seems to make a bigger mess.

Old 12-06-05, 12:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by XSleeper
would you recommend a varnish bristle brush or a foam brush?.

Definetly use a good bristle brush. Sometimes [depending on whats being painted] you need to thin polyshades slightly to make it more workable. I have never had any problems with polyshades but I've painted my whole life.

You have to pay good attention to how you apply polyshades, even coats and not over brushed.

BTW I have never liked foam brushes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: