new oak dresser finish/stain

Old 12-07-05, 09:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new oak dresser finish/stain

I'm new to woodworking and I just built a solid red oak dresser. Can you guys give me some ideas as to what my options are for staining and/or finishing it?
I would like it to have a little bit darker color, so I'm assuming I'll have to stain it first and then put some kind of a sealer on it? Do I need wood conditioner? Will the stain cover evenly? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-05, 12:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Votes on 89 Posts
A clear poly or varnish is the easiest to apply. It will darken the wood some. You can wet the wood with paint thinner and it will give you a general idea what it will look like with a clear finish.

You shouldn't need a wood conditioner - it is mostly for soft woods when you don't want a lot of variation in color. I prefer to use a regular oil stain [not gel] You can brush it on and then wipe off the excess. The amount of time it is allowed to stay on the wood determines how dark it will stain it.
The stain will appear flat and some folks think it won't look aceptable but are usually satisfied once the poly is applied. Be sure to let the stain dry completely before applying the sealer/poly or you risk it softening up the stain and lifting the stain off in some areas.

Old 12-07-05, 08:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grain Sealer w/oak?

In a somewhat related question to this thread, I'm about to finish 5 white oak windows and a whole bunch of white oak trim (casing, base, and shoe).

Doing my research, as I haven't finished anything since a beat-up old phone table when I was 12 (it was a neat project with dad's supervision), it seems a grain filler comes recommended when using an open grained wood such as oak. What's everyone's experiences? Is it really necessary?

Thanks!

Old 12-08-05, 05:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Votes on 89 Posts
IMO it isn't necesary to use grain filler on oak trim. 3 coats of poly/varnish should suffice. If there are any splits in the wood you can use color putty and address those after the first is dry [also when you would be puttying any nail holes.