Painting a Veneer table

Old 12-09-05, 10:24 AM
bfreiborg
Visiting Guest
Painting a Veneer table

We purchased a white veneer dining room table, but would like to paint or stain it black. Would you recommend removing the veneer and attempting to stain the wood black, or would you just paint the existing veneer black. My concern is that if I just paint over the veener, it won't have a nice finish to it and will easily scrach. The veener is kind of glossy. Should I sand paper and then paint?

Please help. Thanks!

Old 12-09-05, 04:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums

I wouldn't remove the venneer. It is there to hide the lesser quality wood under it. Hopefully it is a real wood veneer. You definetly want to sand the finish so you will have good adhesion for the paint. Use oil base paint. It will adhere better and dries to a harder finish. It will probably take 3 coats [sanding between coats] of paint to get a good job.

Old 12-10-05, 10:18 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What if you want to stain a light veneer a darker shade; can that be done? If so what is the best product to use?

Old 12-10-05, 04:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO veneer is too thin to adequatetly strip and a sand. Darkening wood is easy, just sand lightly [for adhesion] and cover with a tinted finish. Polyshades by minwax is an readily available tinted finish. It must be applied uniformly or you might end up with light and dark areas that might not be easily fixed.

Old 12-11-05, 06:54 PM
bfreiborg
Visiting Guest
So would you recommend painting over the veneer or staining over the white veneer? We are looking to end up with a black shade.

Old 12-12-05, 05:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If you want it to be black it would be best to paint it. A black tinted poly would take too many coats to darken it so it looked black. Oil base enamel should provide a good durable finish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: