Combining painted and stained trim

Old 12-13-05, 08:13 AM
sfriedrich
Visiting Guest
Combining painted and stained trim

I live in a 20yr old bungalow/cottage that has lightly stained knotty pine tongue-and-groove ceilings and wainscoting in some rooms. The trimwork in the house is a mismash of uncoated or stained pine, painted baseboards, and uncoated clear pine 6-panel doors. We are doing some renovation work and would like to improve the appearance of the trimwork. We will also be adding hardwood floors throughout.

My question is, with so much wood in the house, would it look OK to paint the trimwork, especially for instance the crown molding that is up against the wood ceilings, and the door jams and trim if we plan to stain the doors. I find working with painted trim much easier, especially crown molding where there are inevitably minor gaps that need to be caulked. Any suggestions on trim colour for this application would be appreciated.

Old 12-14-05, 05:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 872 Upvotes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by sfriedrich
would it look OK to paint the trimwork, .

It is your home so you can decorate/paint however suits you. I've painted a lot of homes that had painted trim and stained doors. Ocasionally painted trim with wood paneling. One thing to remember, it is easy to paint the trim but if you were to change your mind it would be a large task to strip the paint.

It is almost impossible to select a color without being there and knowing your preferences. A soft white [lightly tinted] often looks well with natural or stained wood.

Old 12-14-05, 10:30 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if you're planning on wood floors throughout, i'd paint all the trimwork and doors the same white or off-white color. doing that will showcase the floor. it will also help in regards to your wood furniture - easier to choose it & one less thing to compete with it, too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: