Safely stripping paint/refinishing wood indoors

Old 12-13-05, 08:33 AM
rumsy
Visiting Guest
Safely stripping paint/refinishing wood indoors

I started this thread in the painting catagory before seeing this wood finish forum....Here it is again.......

I would like to restore the wood finish in my home (built in the 50's). The previous owners painted over the wood ceilings, walls, trim, doors, cabinets, and beams . I've successfully restored some cabinet doors using what I gather to be some sort of caustic solvent. But I want more! The wood was painted within the last 10 years so there's no lead and only one coat (or enough to cover). Can I safely remove paint from ceiling beams and other areas in the house using a chemical stripper? Or should I physically remove the paint with a sander? Any feedback would be appreciated...

Old 12-13-05, 11:30 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Peel away 7--highly recommended for indoor woodwork. Others work too, but generally more caustic. You could also try the low odor, green products. I think they are useless, but they smell pretty.

Old 12-13-05, 07:41 PM
rumsy
Visiting Guest
Checked out their web site. That stuff looks pretty impressive. Ever work with it? do you know if it can be purchased at hardware or home improvement stores?
Thanks!

Old 12-14-05, 08:45 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, I've used it. It's somewhat expensive if you've only got one layer to remove, but it is fairly low odor and it works. It doesn't remove stain well though (of course, the stuff that does smells and is highly flammable--trust me, I know how flammable from my last project). They should have a distributer list on the site--some paint stores, no big box stores. There are several similar products that don't use the barrier paper (the paper, I learned is similar to the traditional wax covered butcher's paper), but I've only used peel-away.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: