Finishing/filling unfinished indoor teak furniture

Old 01-01-06, 09:45 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Finishing/filling unfinished indoor teak furniture

I apologize if this has been asked before. I searched and read many posting, but did not find the answer.

My situation: I have found a dinning room table that I am interested in purchasing from a local teak furniture vendor, however I am not a fan of the finish they apply. I believe it is a wax / polyurethane combination with approximately three applications. I believe it will be sufficiently durable, but unfortunately it does not fill all the grain.

I have done a lot of work with oak and mahogany using paste wood filler to fill grain holes prior to staining and finishing. I have been very happy with the results. I am considering ordering the table unfinished and finishing it myself.

My questions: What is the best approach to get a high-end finish (not necessarily glossy) on the table starting from scratch? Should I use wood paste fill or is there a better approach with teak?

Thanks

Miles E.

Old 01-02-06, 03:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pore-O-pac should do the trick nicely, but note it will fill the grain black (which may look nice on teak, it sure does on oak).

As far as finishing it, if you are familiar with spray equipment, you're best off looking for a good "oily wood sealer". ML Campbell (an industrial wood finishing company) carries a very good product just for that. Personally I'd use that sealer and two or three topcoats of their conversion varnish Krystal. A very durable and chemically resistant product. You'll need to get a quart of CARE catalyst to go with it, and a respirator b/c the stuff is H3ll on your lungs.

Matt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: