Painting wood floors

Old 01-26-06, 10:36 AM
jalcbo
Visiting Guest
Painting wood floors

We have wood floors in our attic that have never been sanded or finished. I would like to paint them white. I have painted wood in a couple of our rental properties. The first time I used just white porch paint and it scuffed badly and always looked dirty. The second time I applied a coat of poly which "yellowed" the white paint. Since then I think I remember someone telling me of a product that has poly in it? Anyway does anyone have any advice on how to paint the floors and protect them and their finished color.

Thanks

Julie

Old 01-26-06, 12:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i think oil-based poly yellows, but water-based poly stays clear. but even if you find the kind that stays clear, a white floor is a white floor! it's going to get scuffed & dirty and show scuffs & dirt much more than if you chose a different color. even just whitewashing it would be better than solid white.

Old 01-26-06, 04:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
Even an oil base white enamel will yellow some over time. Why do you want to paint them white?

Old 01-27-06, 06:02 AM
jalcbo
Visiting Guest
white floors

The entire first floor besides kitchen and bath is all hardwoods. The whole attic, walls, ceiling, and floors is all toungue and groove (the original owner worked in a lumber yard) so it kinda has a lodge look right now and is very dark, I'm hoping the white will lighten it up and create diversity from the rest of the house

Old 01-27-06, 06:39 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
since the floor was never finished previously, you may have
contamination in the wood from usage.

i would use a degreaser on the floor first. (flammable)
open windows and use a fan to assist in ventalation.

prep your floors by sanding any scratches out.

have some white oil based stain made up for you

apply it and wait to dry.

buy varathane for floors and apply as per instructions.

Old 01-27-06, 04:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
Just having a shine on the floors will brighten up the attic some. A dull floor kinda absorbs light while a gloss will reflect it. Do make sure the floor is clean and ready before applying any finish as it is double the work if done later

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: