Hanging new door slab

Old 02-14-06, 08:10 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hanging new door slab

Hi guys, hope I have the right area here.

I'm replacing all of my interior doors and chose to go with just the slab, not the pre-hung (why I don't know). I'm just wondering what the best method would be for grooving the panel for the hinges. I've used a chisel on the first couple but it's a very slow process and doesn't look great. I don't have a router but would a dremmel work? If so, what's the best way of keeping the lines straight?

Appreciate the help.

Old 02-14-06, 08:32 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,278 Upvotes on 1,217 Posts
You can use a dremel. I think a router is the most common way to go. Either way, it's a lot easier if you have a template to follow.

Old 02-14-06, 08:45 AM
G
Any suggestions on a material to use for the template? I would think that wood would not be the way to go as the bit will chew up the template. Anything harder would damage the bit.

Old 02-14-06, 09:04 AM
Check this out:

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/doors/install1/custom/pre-hang/solid.htm

Old 02-15-06, 11:38 AM
G
Just a quick update for you guys. I bought the butt hinge template with a set of template guides. My question is, does the metal template account for the 1/8" offset caused by the template guide bushing? I haven't gone through the process yet but I can see how the guide would prevent the bit from reaching the edge of the template by that amount, about 1/8" - 1/16".

Old 02-15-06, 12:52 PM
C
It should. Have you measured it?

Old 02-15-06, 01:19 PM
G
I haven't yet. Way too late when I finally got home yesterday. I'll measure tonight and let you guys know.

Old 02-16-06, 11:32 AM
G
Well, the colour green is definitely bearing it's ugly head. Has anyone used what is apparantly a very common butt hinge router template before? I picked one up only to find I need a template guide for my router (as mentioned previously, I was thinking of using a dremmel but decided to pick up a router). Turns out my Skil router requires a template guide adapter. I'm picking that up tonight but don't know what size of actual template guide I require. There is nothing in the half page directions that came with the template.
It appears as though the standard guide kits come in the following sizes:
5/16"
7/16"
1/2"

Suppose I could just purchase the kit and try them all, but, with such a knowledgable group here ...

Thanks guys.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: