Jacobean too dark....

Old 02-15-06, 07:30 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Jacobean too dark....

I'm having a little issue with minwax's Jacobean....

I'm attempting to lay down two stains on some scrap and I think I can get the right results but I don't think I'm quite going about this the right way...

What I was intending to do was lay down minwax's jacobean colour (on birch) and wipe right away...

After the required hours I wanted to come over it with varathane's 'early american' stain (both stains are oil based).

The intent was to get a darkened stain more to my liking but my first trials didn't work out good.

The Jacobean just ends up way to dark no matter how quick/light I apply the stain and it throws off the early american colour all together.

Ideally what I was hoping for was a colour similar to minwax.com homepage...
There is a flash playing scrolling through 'beautify' (pic of a bed) and then it goes to 'restore' with a pic of a cabinet. That is the colour I'm trying to achieve.

I've tried chestnut (in the minwax gel stain) and it's not what I want. I just find it too 'black' rather than dark brown. I've also tried 'special walnut' (comes out way too light...kind of golden and I don't like that) and also 'dark walnut' ... also more 'black' than brown on the birch.

My next option is to mix a little jacobean with the early american (I suppose) but was hoping to get some advice.

I'm really shooting for something similar to that minwax photo. The piece I'm doing has small machine guard mesh in the upper doors and dowelling in the lower doors and matte rustic like handles.

I'm really looking for a rustic kinda feel to it...and I've had my mind set on that photo ever since I had this piece in the works...

Old 02-16-06, 05:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It has been a long time since I've used any jocabean stain. If I remember right it is very dark. If I saw the pic of the dresser correctly it is a lot closer to early american than jacobean. It is always best to only apply 1 coat of stain as the 2nd coat has a hard time soaking in because the first has kind of sealed the wood. I think adding a little jacobean to the early american will get you close to the color you are seeking. Remember that the varnish/poly will change the stain color some - basically brings the colors out.

Continue to test stain on the scrap wood until you are satisfied with the color.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: