4mm Veneer questions

Old 02-19-06, 08:44 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question 4mm Veneer questions

All my below questions stem from the fact that I get veneer that is 4-5mm thick in sheets of 8ft x 4ft. I live in India. Paper thin veneers are not available.

1. I have been asked to finish an unfinished box made of 19mm (.75 in) plywood using Steam Beech Veneer. All the reading matrial that is available on the web talk about paper thin veneer and sticking them is quite easy using smoothers, bond adhesives etc.

How do I stick the thick (4mm) veneer to the plywood, as in: after applying adhesive, do I put heavy items on the veneer in lieu of a vacuum press (dont have one)? One local carpenter suggested nailing the veneer, using thin nails; so that they can be pulled out later. I fear this will cause too many holes in the veneer.

The box is 48x48x24

2. Is it okay to use a orbital sander on 4mm veneer? I ask this question because the grains on the veneer has long vertical lines, which I fear will get distorted by the circular motion of the sander. Please dispel if this is a myth!!

Q1 is my biggest problem now, since the piece is quite large and I dont have too many heavy items to use as a press!!

Old 02-19-06, 10:14 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
For a large piece of veneer such as you will be using, hammering the veneer may be the best approach. This will enable you to veneer the piece without a press or clamps and cauls.

http://************/c6d2u

A random orbital sander with the correct grit of paper will not damage the grain of the wood. Be sure to progress through the grits in order.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: