Stain and dimming highlights

Old 03-03-06, 10:13 AM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Stain and dimming highlights

Hello all, I'm new here. This is my first post.

I've got a nice piece of walnut that I'm trying to color match to a darker piece of walnut. I've been using Minwax Dark Walnut stain. Unfortunately, this stain has a tendency to highlight light grain areas and turn them almost yellow. I want dark-dark-dark. The piece I'm trying to match is so dark it almost looks like it's got a brown slurry over it. Maker claims it's just dark walnut with linseed oil on it.

Is there anything I could try to darken up the highlights? Would a "pre-stain" primer/sealer help? Should I just apply more coats of stain and hope it'll darken? I know the final coat of linseed will help, and I intend to turn that into Danish oil with the addition of a little stain. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

-- Sam

Old 03-03-06, 06:05 PM
C
You might get more even color if you apply a 2 lb. cut coat of dewaxed garnet shellac to the bare wood. This will help keep the color as walnut generally lightens with time.

Old 03-05-06, 08:09 AM
N
those "pre-stain" conditioners tend to bring the darker areas to the lighter side, not the other way around. I would move to a wiping stain or maybe even a gel stain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: