Polyurethane and polycrilic?

Old 03-04-06, 03:13 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Polyurethane and polycrilic?

What is the diffirence in these two products besides $5 a can? On the can both of them say the same thing that they are to be used for?

Thanks
Jim123

Old 03-04-06, 05:34 AM
You're right about both products having the same use. Here are the differences as I know them:

1- Solvent based poly takes longer to dry - polycrylic dries in 2 hours
has a yellow cast - polycrylic is totally clear
has a noticable odor - has very little odor
cleanup with paint thinner - clean up with soap & water
more durable than lacquer or shellac - slightly more durable than reg poly.

Polycrylic is especially useful as a top coat for light colors. Being water clear, it will not change the color like traditional oil based poly will.

Old 03-04-06, 04:21 PM
also note that polyurethane is likely to be much more durable than any waterbased. The downsides, as mentioned above, is that it ambers the heck out of lighter colored woods and it takes a while to dry. If you really must have a clear finish, I'd go with spray cans of Deft lacquer (with sanding sealer as the first coat).

Old 03-05-06, 08:02 AM
N
Though the polycrylic takes shorter to dry, it will take longer to fully cure. There is a whole plethera of clear finishes, that are appropriate in different areas... what are you putting it on?

Old 03-06-06, 11:54 PM
J
Actually I have several projects going where I will be using the product. I'm refacing some cabinets that are being stained and I want to use one of the poly's for adding some shine to them. I'm also remodling a house and one room is going to have real split logs on the wall and I want to add a little shine to the logs. The same house has another room that is going to be done in T/G cedar and I want the shine on these walls too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: