Stain blotch boo boo

Old 03-06-06, 01:07 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stain blotch boo boo

So I finally mix up a colour I am content with. Was very hard to get even close to what I wanted but it's gonna do (mixing two different brands of all things!)

So there I am, in the middle of cleanup, talking to the finance...er....fiancee and I splatter a couple of spots of varnish on the first coat of stain I just finished....bleach spot so to speak.

So I figure no big deal, just sand it down and restain (which I was gonna do anyway cuz I changed up the stain a touch) and the damn spots won't go away now.

The piece is in birch...I sanded with 150 grit before first stain coat....then again with 150 before the second coat.

What do I gotta do to get the spots out? They are in conspicuous spots. Also, I used the wood conditioner before the first coat, I assume it's once and that's it right?

My plan was to hit the spots with 100 grit paper (as much of the spot as I could) then dab on some conditioner....not sure if that's the right approach....

Old 03-06-06, 03:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
It would have been best to wipe the splattered stain off while it was still wet. Sanding and scrubbing with thinner should get rid of the spots. You probably won't need to use conditioner again but it is hard to say without actually seeing what you have to work with.

Just reread your post and realized it was varnish that was splattered. If you had brushed the splatters [maybe even add a little stain] it would have minimized the damage. Unless you can color some varnish [with stain] and using a smalll brush paint the affected spots, you will need to sand or strip the panel and restain it. You probably won't need to use conditioner again.

Old 03-06-06, 03:50 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
problem was i had already stained and wiped the excess off after 10 min or so...

I was basically done for the day so to speak but on cleanup I somehow splattered it and didn't notice it right away...

I'll try to sand just the spot ... and then stain...again...

A couple of the spots are in hideable areas but a couple small spots (size of quarter and one smaller than a penny) are on the top and definitely noticeable.

The coat of stain I put over didn't absorb too well even though I did sand before staining...like I said, I'll try to sand just that spot down, even if I have to tape it off or something to get into it....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: