Refinishing a dining room table

Old 02-27-06, 02:45 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refinishing a dining room table

I have a dining room table with a lacquer finish. I want to remove the finish and spray paint it black.
What do I need to do?

Thanks

Old 02-27-06, 06:14 PM
C
You could strip the finish or remove it with lacquer thinner and some cloths. You might get a better result with stripping. After stripping is complete, prime and paint as desired.

Old 02-28-06, 06:59 AM
S
Re finishing dining room table

You said to strip it with a lacquer thinner. What about sanding off the lacquer finish?

Old 03-29-06, 08:35 AM
N
sanding a table is a lot of work. and if the tabletop is veneer - which is the case with most furniture these days - u may sand right thru it and not realise. which wud be a nightmare.

i dont know what the appropriate stripper is for lacquer, maybe someone else on this board can tell u. but for aproject the size of a dining table, i wud let the chemicals do the hardwork for me. after stripping and ligting off the current finish and stain, u need to neutralise the stripper by rubbing it own with mineral spirits. clean the surfaces thoroughly to remove all remnants of the old finish. sand it to smooth the surfaces. then stain and apply a protective finish.

hope this helps

good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: