chilean cherry

Old 03-12-06, 09:28 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
chilean cherry

We've recently received a dining table made of solid "chilean cherry." I don't like the finish because it's too red and too "thick" - although it's in perfect condition. (The table is about 6 years old.) I just can't stand all that semi-opaque red. I'm thinking of stripping it and restaining it with a much lighter color. But I don't know what "chilean" cherry looks like when left nearly natural. I can see some nice wood grain through all that red and lacquer and think it might be much better if more of it were visible. A search of this forum didn't yield anything on this wood. Is it close to American cherry? Should I attempt changing this table? If anyone is familiar with this wood, I'd so much appreciate learning what you know about refinishing it.

Old 03-13-06, 07:41 AM
Chilean cherry is more commonly used in flooring. The website listed below can provide pictures of the unfinished wood.

Since yours has been stained, it won't look this light, but you'll get a general idea of what to expect.

http://www.wflooring.com/Photo_Gallery/photos_cherry_chilean.htm

Old 03-13-06, 10:47 AM
P
Thank you

Thank you very much for your reply and the link. I think I like the natural wood look better, but now that you've told me Chilean cherry is used in flooring I will also look for a flooring store where they may have actual samples to look at and probably in a variety of stain colors. I'll make up my mind then . I've been combing through the archives here and went all the way back to 2000 and found your advice on various projects very informative. If I decide to strip this monster of a table (it weighs a ton, but all parts can be detached) I'll drop in again if I can't find answers in the archives to problems I might encounter. I'm so glad I found you and very much appreciate your advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: