Painting New Stain Grade Oak

Old 03-18-06, 10:35 AM
hillbie
Visiting Guest
Painting New Stain Grade Oak

We purchased new stain grade red oak baseboards (over 1,000 ft) and door mouldings with the intention of staining them. Now we have decided we want to paint them instead. Nothing has been done to the oak yet. Can it painted without the fear of tannins bleeding through over time? What about the grain, is there something we can do so the grain won't show through? Should we use sanding sealer or regular primer?

We want to do this right.

Thanks
Hillary

Old 03-18-06, 12:11 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
No, you're going to paint oak? Why not get something less beautiful if all you're going to do is hide it with paint anyway? Poplar paints really well and costs less.

Old 03-18-06, 01:05 PM
hillbie
Visiting Guest
As I stated in my original post....we've already purchased the oak. We have over 1,000 feet. That's going to cost too much to buy something else. Paint grade is $1 a ft.

Old 03-18-06, 05:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It does seem a shame to paint new oak. Is it possible to make a trade for trim that is more paint friendly?

Oak can be painted. If you use an oil base undercoater there shouldn't be any bleeding issues. Filling the grain will be the hardest problem. On small areas I usually fill the grain with spackling but that wouldn't be practical with all the wood you have to paint.

The best way to paint oak is
#1 prime with oil base wood undercoater
#2 sand, caulk and putty as needed
#3 apply 1 coat of flat latex [helps to fill the grain]
#4 sand and apply 1-2 coats of enamel

If you check around I'm sure you could find someone willing to buy the oak [at a discounted price] giving you the money to purchase paint grade with change leftover.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: