acrylic lacquer?

Old 03-29-06, 08:48 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
acrylic lacquer?

what is acrylic lacquer? how do i strip it off from my entertainment centre?

thanks

namrata

Old 03-31-06, 06:18 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Most likely regular old acrylic butyrate lacquer, aka, CAB lacquer.

Easy stuff to remove, most furniture strippers will do the trick. CAB is an inferior finish, other than it looks great when done right. Has little durability and can't stand cleaner chemicals. I hate CAB.
If you ever have anything custom done as far as cabinetry goes, specify very, very clearly that you want either precatalyzed lacquer or conversion varnish (one is a tad expensive and the other is a good bit more expensive). Both are fantastic and durable finishes.

Get any good brand ****aerosol**** paint stripper. The gel kinds can work but are **insanely** messy. The aerosols, in my experience, are much more powerful and effective.

Hose them down with the aerosol, give a few minutes to start bubbling off, and scrape off. Shouldn't be too difficult.

BTW do this ONLY in a good, ventilated area. Most strippers that are worth their weight in paint scrapings contain methylene chloride, which can cause a buildup of CO2 in your blood stream, which can lead to a heart attack.

Do not fear this stuff unless you have cardiovascular problems (in which case have a pro do it, $$$), but make sure you have a fan blowing fumes away from you. Wear safety glasses and good rubber gloves.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: