rippling on pine table

Old 04-01-06, 01:45 PM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rippling on pine table

I had a Ducal Victoria pine table stripped due to cigarette burns. It was revarnished but the grain has become raised, creating a "rippled" effect. Why has this happened and what can I do?

Old 04-01-06, 01:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,641 Likes on 1,469 Posts
Does the "rippling" follow the pattern of the grain of the wood? If so, this is likely what I was referring to in another thread where I was commenting on how sanding by hand, or sanding with a soft block plane, and always sanding with the grain will affect the finish. It sounds like what has happened is that more of the softer earlywood has been removed by sanding, leaving the harder latewood grain appear "raised" by comparison. This can easily happen to pine because it is so soft.

To avoid this is was suggested that you use a hard block sander (that will not follow contours of the grain) and sand diagonally (at a 45) to the grain. Then switch to the next higher grit and sand in the opposite direction, diagonally.

Whether more sanding would help your table or not, I can't say. It may just accentuate, or compound the problem. The entire top may need to be surface sanded, planed or scraped to get it back to a 100% smooth surface again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: