Splotchy stain

Old 04-15-06, 07:05 PM
Trebbor
Visiting Guest
Splotchy stain

I just finished stripping a coffee table that consists of several laminated pieces and several straight pieces. They are all fir. I wanted to change the color from plain fir to a maple shade. I'm using a Varathane's Premium Oil Stain - Colonial Maple. I noticed that there was a suggestion to use Varathane's Wood Conditioner before staining if the project used a soft wood such as fir. It didn't say why to use it, and since I didn't have any, I went ahead and stained the pieces. Unfortunately the wood looks splotchy. I've since discovered that the wood conditioner helps with making the stain application look more even. So now I need to correct my mistake. Do I have to sand the wood again before applying the conditioner or can I apply the conditioner over the splotchy stain? I suspect that I have to sand the wood but before going to all that trouble (there are about 16 pieces of varying sizes), I thought I'd ask for advice. Please help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-06, 02:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Wood conditioners purpose is to lightly seal the wood limiting the amount that the stain will soak into the wood. Stain soaks into the softer parts of the wood while laying on top of the harder sections. I doubt that it would be effective over the stain.

You would need to remove the stain first before applying a wash coat [conditioner], once dry it would be ready for stain.