Restoring 100 Year Old House

Old 04-23-06, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Restoring 100 Year Old House

I HAVE STRIPPED THE PAINT FROM THE WINDOW TRIM AND BASEBORAD. THE WINDOW TRIM IS MAPLE. I USED A ELECTRIC HAND SANDER TO DO THE FINISH ON THE WINDOWS. THE BASEBOARDS ARE CHERRY. THE BOARDS ARE 6 INCHES BY 1 INCHES. THE BOARDS ARE INTACT TO THE WALLS. THE HAND SANDER DOES NOT DO THE JOB ON THE BASEBOARDS. I AM TRYING A BELT SANDER ON THE BASEBOARD. DOES ANY ONE KNOW OF A BETTER TOOL OR WAY TO DO THE FINISH SANDING?
PLEASE EMAIL ME WITH INFO AT
[email protected]

Last edited by Annette; 04-24-06 at 10:14 AM. Reason: email addresses are prohibited in the forums - as are ALL CAPS
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-06, 02:50 PM
a belt sander for finish sanding? that seems like overkill. and a good possibility that you could really do some damage to your nice woodwork.

what is it about the hand sander that isn't doing the job??

Old 08-20-06, 11:59 AM
Thumbs up Finally Used A Rotary 5" Sander

The Wood Had So Much Build Up On It A Hand Sander Was Like Trying To Remove Concrete With A Toothpick. A Good Rotary Sander Did The Job. Took 9 Hours. The Wood Looks Great. Sorry I Took So Long To Reply. My Pc Crashed. Just Recently Got Back On Line. Thanks

Old 08-20-06, 06:09 PM
100 year old house

I am also removing the paint from my woodwork. I love my heat gun. You must be carefull around the glass but the gun and a good scraper is the best way to remove paint that I have tried and I think I have tried everything. Good luck. Debbie

Old 08-21-06, 08:15 AM
Debbie,
Just a thought, but in a century old house, you likely have lead paint in some layers. A heat gun may not be the way to go, afterall (same with sanding lead paint). I love Peel Away 7--and used it to remove multiple layers in an old house.

Old 08-21-06, 06:31 PM
I used peel-away and did not like it. It did not do well for me. I do not have any children in the home so lead paint is not that big a deal.

Old 08-22-06, 06:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 150 Posts
Exclamation

Adults can get lead poisoning also!!!

Old 08-23-06, 05:45 AM
Thumbs up Addressed The Lead Problem Already

Had Testing Done On The Entire House. I USED THE PEEL AWAY 7 PRODUCT TO REMOVE THE PAINT. WHICH IS USED TO REMOVE LEAD BASED PAINT. TOOK ALL THE PRECAUTION MASK, CLOTHES, GRUBBER GLOVES, ECT. Thanks

Old 08-24-06, 08:08 AM
refinishing wood

I have been doing this for 2 year on my 6000sqr/ft Victorian home. DON'T Use Peel Away. The # 7 is weak and exspenive and the main one will stain the wood. I used a good heatgun that you can buy on line from Milwaukee. Get one that changes the temp not the fan speed. They cost more but are well worth it. They won't burn the wood and are fast, even hard to get ornate areas. Also get a respirator made for lead. Then use a chemical striper or (denatured alcohol if shellac on first layer) with #1 steel wool to clean it up. I used a recipe of 1 quart amber shellac, 3 cups denatured and 13/4 tsp of transtint redish brown to duplicate the original finish. Good luck!!