Applying toner to birch veneer- how to avoid blotching?

Old 04-28-06, 03:16 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Applying toner to birch veneer- how to avoid blotching?

I am trying to achieve a light golden color on my birch veneer. I've purchased some Trans-Tint dye, in golden brown, and was able to achieve the right color by creating a toner (Trans-Tint mixed with Olympic water-based polyurethane). The problem is I can't seem to get it to go on evenly. I tried applying more coats of sealer (Olympic's clear water-based polyurethane) before applying the toner with a foam brush. I applied 5 coats of the sealer, and then applied the toner. It blotched. I tried creating a toner with less dye in it, so it was lighter, but it still blotched. I know the veneer must be sealed after 5 coats of clear poly so I'm thinking the problem is in how I applied it- is this best sprayed on? Or is the the fact that I mixed the trans-tint with the water-based poly?

If it's best sprayed on, I was going to purchase an HVLP sprayer from Home Depot- would the water-based poly have to be thinned before I can use it this way? If so, how thin do I need to make it and with what material do I thin it?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by mickapoo; 04-28-06 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-29-06, 09:31 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can control the application of dye more easily by applying it alone. You might try sealing the surface with some dewaxed shellac to help even out the absorption rate of the wood.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: