Help! Strip/refinish int french doors

Old 05-11-06, 02:07 PM
cynth746
Visiting Guest
Question Help! Strip/refinish int french doors

Hi. I am a competent DYIer, but a novice at wood working, and don't know where to start. I have a 1940's house with int wood french doors that have been painted beige a few too many times (3 or 4?). I would like to strip them down and put a nice white finish on them (we have beautiful wood floors, and stained doors may be too much). Whats the best way to remove the paint from the doors, especially around the moulding that holds in the glass, without damaging any of the glass? The moulding looks much like 1/4 round, but I don't see any nail/staple marks that would be holding them in place. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Old 05-11-06, 02:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
Is it possible to sand them well to get them in good shape? I would start with 80 grit and work up to 150-180 grit. You would want to test them for lead first as it is likely that the original paint was lead based!!!!

I don't do much stripping but would think it would be mighty tedious on french doors. Any nails would likely be filled with putty [which also used to contain lead] with paint making them invisible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: