Painting Oak Dresser

Old 05-13-06, 09:51 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting Oak Dresser

I have a oak dresser I was wanting to paint a black glossy color. Is this possible? What steps do I need to take? What kind of paint would be the best to use? Any brands would be helpful too? Or is this not a good idea?

Old 05-19-06, 05:57 AM
The final sheen of any finish is largely determined by the prep work. For a true high gloss finish the surface must be dead smooth before applying the finish coat.

On oak, that normally means a wood filler (Behlen makes a good one), plus a sandable primer to get the surface really smooth.

Old 05-19-06, 06:24 AM
S
Since this is a piece of furniture I would assume it has a pre-existing finish.If so then how you would address your project would be determined somewhat by what is already on the piece.Unfinished furniture would be quite different.An older piece especially would need to be cleaned thoroughly to be sure there was no wax,oils or spills etc on it.A polyurethaned piece should be lightly sanded to neutralize any gloss and primed with a good oil base primer.Other finishes can be trickier and a small out of the way spot should be used for testing first.Any good quality enamel would work as a top coat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: