undesirable finish on tiger oak table

Old 05-16-06, 12:32 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation undesirable finish on tiger oak table

I have an old tiger oak dining room table that appeared to have a peeling blistering coat of polyurethane in it. I stripped it used Savogran Superstrip and followed with paint thinner to remove the residue.I didn't use water. I allowed drying time then sanded and removed all dust. The wood looked great and when I applied Minwax Wood-Sheen (Windsor oak) rubbing oil stain & finish, there were places in the grain that didn't appear to have taken the stain and kinda looked light/white...I didn't like the way it looked so I took paint thinner and cleaned it back down to bare wood and sanded it again. When I look at the bare wood at an angle I can see areas in the grain a tad lighter and I know they are going to do the same thing again. The areas don't seem to be raised.I didn't try a deglosser.Have I not sanded or cleaned it enough?..Before the table had a plastic looking finish and I want a more natural finish. If I've ruined this antique my husband will never let me live this down. Here's two photos (you must copy and paste one at a time).. http://www.dropfiles.net/files/2462/tiger%20oak%20light%20grain.jpg http://www.dropfiles.net/files/2462/grain%20bare%20tiger%20oak.jpg
Terri
in OK

Last edited by okiebirdnerd; 05-16-06 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-16-06, 03:36 PM
C
Go over the places that won't take stain with stripper again to remove the remaining residue. Wiping with mineral spirits will usually show where the old finish remains.

Old 05-18-06, 08:45 AM
O
Thanks so much for your quick reply. I was sure hoping for a different answer than the one you gave but I'll try stripping it again today and let you know my results. I really appreciate your time.
Terri

Old 05-25-06, 11:21 AM
O
I wanted you to know I finally got the wood to take the stain after I stripped it again. It turned out great and I decided to not sell it after all. After two coats of Minwax Woodsheen I'm now ready to apply tung oil...I haven't been able to find any tung oil by Minwax but I do have Formby's tung oil and was wondering if the Formby's would be okay to use? I did find a Minwax product called Antique Oil Finish. I have never used it before and don't know if it is compatible with the Woodsheen. What is the difference in a Tung Oil finish and an Antique Oil finish? My husband said Tung oil is Tung oil and it shouldn't matter who makes it. I'm a little leery about mixing different manufacturer products.And I have no desire to strip and start from scratch AGAIN if it doesn't set up properly. Anyway, I'll wait for your answer before I apply either since you are so knowledgeable about finishes and such.

I understand if you can't comment on the Formby's since it isn't a Minwax product. Again, thanks so much for the helpful information.
Terri

Last edited by okiebirdnerd; 05-26-06 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-26-06, 05:30 PM
O
Smile

I was at Home Depot today and they had the Minwax Tung Oil. I guess I'll return the Antique Oil Finish since I've never used it and not sure how it works with th Woodsheen. With the weekend and company I won't work on the table again until Tuesday so if you think the Antique Oil will give a better finish just let me know before then so I can use the better finish of the two.
Have a nice holiday.
Terri

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: